[Nagiosplug-devel] Feature request: extend check_ping to specify source address

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jul 18 09:23:03 CEST 2008

Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Matthias Eble wrote:
>
>> this feature is already provided by check_icmp.
>
> Err, how?

It isn't, and I fail to see how that could work at all.

check_icmp and ping alike mark their packets with pid, sequence-number,
host-id (decided internally) etc, etc. Modifying the ip->src_addr field
would cause the targeted host to send its ICMP_ECHO_REPLY packets to a
different host, so check_icmp (or ping) wouldn't be able to pick them
up at a later time.

Otoh, it's not hard to implement, so convince me it's needed and I'll
add it :-)

>  I've got nagios-plugins-1.4.11:

That's rather ancient, I think, although I don't exactly follow the
nagiosplug upstream development that closely anymore.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se