[Nagiosplug-devel] Antwort: Re: Feature request: extend check_ping to specify source address

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Fri Jul 18 12:24:17 CEST 2008

nagiosplug-devel-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 18.07.2008
09:23:03:

> It isn't, and I fail to see how that could work at all.
>
> check_icmp and ping alike mark their packets with pid, sequence-number,
> host-id (decided internally) etc, etc. Modifying the ip->src_addr field
> would cause the targeted host to send its ICMP_ECHO_REPLY packets to a
> different host, so check_icmp (or ping) wouldn't be able to pick them
> up at a later time.

It will work, if the local machine has 2 IP adresses and advanced source
policy routing is active on the gateway (or the local machine already).
The use of course is fairly small, since such setups are very rarely seen,
but obviously we found someone who does it that way ;)

Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk-  und  Systemmanagement
Telefon : +49 (201) 102-1879 Mobil : +49 (173) 5419665 Fax : +49 (201)
102-1102105

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Till Ergenzinger, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522