[Nagiosplug-devel] different licenses (both gpl3) used

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest thomas at zango.com
Tue Jun 3 18:22:59 CEST 2008

Jan Wagner wrote:
| hi there,
|
| you have 2 different licenses used for your project. could you please
verify
| if that is a bug or a feature? :)
|
| in detail:
|
|         lib/*.c
|         lib/tests/*.c
|         plugins/*.c
|         plugins/runcmd.h
|         plugins/common.h
|         plugins/netutils.h
|         plugins-root/check_*.c
|         gl/basename.c
|         gl/cloexec.c
|         gl/creat-safer.c
|         gl/c-strtod.c
|         gl/d*
|         gl/e*
|         gl/fcntl*
|         gl/fd-safer.c
|         gl/float.*
|         gl/floorf.c
|         gl/fsusage*
|         gl/full*
|         gl/gethostname.c
|         gl/getloadavg.c
|         gl/getopt*
|         gl/intprops.h
|         gl/math.in.h
|         gl/mountlist*
|         gl/open-safer.c
|         gl/pipe-safer.c
|         gl/safe-*
|         gl/stdlib.in.h
|         gl/strerror.c
|         gl/stripslash.c
|         gl/unistd-*
|         gl/xalloc*
|         gl/xmalloc.c
|         gl/xstrndup*
|
|    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
|    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
|    the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
|    (at your option) any later version.
|
|    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
|    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
|    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
|    GNU General Public License for more details.
|
|    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
|    along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>
|
|         gl/alloca.in.h
|         gl/as*
|         gl/base64*
|         gl/config.charset
|         gl/float+.h
|         gl/gai_strerror.c
|         gl/getaddrinfo*
|         gl/gettext.h
|         gl/inet_ntop*
|         gl/localcharset*
|         gl/malloc.c
|         gl/netinet_in.in.h
|         gl/printf-*
|         gl/ref-*
|         gl/reg*
|         gl/size_max.h
|         gl/snprintf.c
|         gl/stdbool.in.h
|         gl/stdint.in.h
|         gl/stdio.in.h
|         gl/strdup.c
|         gl/string.in.h
> [...]

Everything in gl/ is installed by gnulib (which allows multiple licenses
depending on the module). The core plugins are v3 or higher as some of
the required gnulib libraries are now only available in v3.

If you see differences in gl/ then you may bring is up to the gnulib
mailing list. However I don't see much differences beside some wording.
The GPL v3 is an official document and both license text specify to use
GPL v3 or higher.

- --
Thomas