[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-1911239 ] check_smtp only says "Invalid SMTP response received from.."

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 14 23:38:03 CET 2008

Bugs item #1911239, was opened at 2008-03-10 18:12
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by psychotrahe
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=1911239&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: CVS

Initial Comment:
Hi there,

we got a bugreport against our (debian-)package:

check_smtp.c around line 239 says:

if (!strstr (buffer, server_expect)) {
	if (server_port == SMTP_PORT)
		printf (_("Invalid SMTP response received from host\n"));

In such a case, it makes sense to actually *print* what the server said
(different from SMTP_EXPECT, "220"), because this error message is pretty
much useless for later debugging. Including the 'buffer' variable in
that output seems like a no-brainer.

The original bugreport can be found at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=467493 and was filled against 1.4.5, but it also applies for latest cvs.

Thanks and with kind regards, Jan.

Comment By: Matthias Eble (psychotrahe)