[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: New threshold syntax

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Tue Mar 18 16:01:06 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
>  Sensible. With '>' in arguments every argument needs to be escaped,
>  which is just plain stupid.

Having operators match normal math vs. learning a different syntax
just to indicate normal operators with a trade off of having to quote
arguments is stupid?  Interesting opinion, especially since command
definitions are codified in configuration files that don't change
much, in my (to you, stupid) mind making the warning and critical
conditional syntax more readable and maintainable for more complex
thresholds is more important than saving a plugin writer a few quote
key strokes here and there.  We all test and test plugins from the
command line before we codify them in command definitions, not like
most Nagios admins are doing tons of new checks a day for
configurations where missing a quote is a huge risk.

>  just rip an SQL-parsing implementation directly, with subquery support
>  tucked right in.

This I really like.  This would let the syntax for threshold
specifications get as complex as needed for people who want to do
complex thresholds, use a paradigm for syntax that is very well
understood, while the specifications at the same time could maintain
as well the very simple integer specifications that are documented now
for people who don't want to go that path.

- Max