[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: New threshold syntax

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Wed Mar 19 16:49:59 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
>  So what do we do with users running Nagios on AIX? Tell them to go
>  screw themselves, because "oh look, we've thought up this wonderful
>  new way of specifying critical and warning ranges at the same time"?

Ok, of course not, thanks for sharing, would be nice to drop the
constant sarcasm, it gets in the way of your points.

So we can't use these characters then either:
^ - old shells use this as pipe
~ - some shells use this for regexp matching
= - forget to quote and doh, we are setting shell variables now
;

&

So are we left with an RPN style notation to ensure that this works
across all OSes .. like RRD, with multiple warn and critical switches
accepted to help with readability, maybe?

--warning 15min,15.00,gt --warning 1min,5.00,gte --critical
15min,30,gt,10min,5,gt

??

That would at least be something many users (no Andreas, not all, not
beginners either) have used and something that is well documented.

>  For the future; it's a good idea to see what other semi-similar programs
>  are doing. For the record, I can't think of a single cli program that
>  requires shell characters in its command line.

sed
awk

Yes, not for options, but they often are pipelined and have syntax
that requires quotes.

- Max