[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: New threshold syntax

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Mar 20 15:46:54 CET 2008

Hi!

I've committed a branch of nagiosplug with check_procs taking --rss-
threshold=[warn_range]/[crit_range] style threshold values. The --help
output is reflected (as whatever new style thresholds should be the
recommended approach).

This is backwards compatible - the test suite for existing
functionality works as expected, although the output is slightly
different.

An interesting thing I've observed is that it is possible to get 3
alerts for only 1 process:

./check_procs -C cron --number=^1:1 --rss-threshold=0: --vsz-
threshold=0: --cpu-threshold=-1:

I can't decide what is the best way of summarising the problem (was it
the vsz or the cpu that alerted?). It means that the way of looking at
a plugin is to consider the thresholds as the most important thing,
rather than the things being measured - I don't know, I haven't quite
got my head around it yet. You can use -v -v to get info about which
thresholds were crossed (multi-line - needs Nagios 3!).

Also, I've been thinking about the specification of ranges and I've
come to the conclusion that my concise notation is arcane. But regular
expressions are arcane too - yet you have to learn it if you want to
use them. But I think, for the most common cases, my proposed range
definition is suitable.

Snapshot of this branch is here:

http://resources.opsview.org/ton/nagios-plugins-branch-200803191456.tar.gz

Comments?