[Nagiosplug-devel] check_icmp query

Duncan Ferguson duncan.ferguson at altinity.com
Tue Sep 23 16:55:58 CEST 2008

Hiya,

I am trying to use check_icmp as a host check for monitoring a server
in a different continent over a network that has the occasional
glitch, but I cannot get the options right.

Basically, what I am trying to achieve is to get check_icmp to send
say 5 packets, with a delay of a second between each packet and if it
gets 1 packet back then the host is up and happy -  99% of the time
there is 0% packet loss with an rta of 44ms or less, but 0.75% of the
time there is 10% loss  and 0.25% of the time there is 100% loss.
When there is loss the next moment everything is ok again so i want
the hsst check to be a little more resilient.

What is the correct way of specifying this?  Using the '-i' and '-I'
switches doesnt seem to affect sending the packets (all the packets
seem to be sent at once or with no delay between them rather that have
a one second delay that i specify).

check_icmp -H <hostaddr> -n 10 -m 1 -w 1000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -i 1s
-I 1s -l 128

I don't understand networking well enough to go through the code and
work out whether what I am trying to do is unreasonable, its missing
functionality or its a bug.

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

  Duncs