[Nagiosplug-devel] NRPE Protocol

Michael Wyraz lists at wyraz.de
Mon Aug 10 11:03:27 CEST 2009

When deploying nagios to our servers (using nrpe) I found that the
current implementation using ssl with anonymous dh has some
disadvantages in security (missing authentication) so that extra setup
it required (e.d. stunnel or ssh) which makes deployment to clients more
complex. Since the manual says "there's ssl", most users would not even
notice that there might be a problem.

Later when I developed my own server implementation to connect Nagios to
one of our applications, I found that it's really hard to find a
documentation of the protocol (in fact there's only the source code) and
that the protocol is very simple, restricted and tied to the c language.

These where the reasons for me to start this discussion ;-)

Meanwhile I discovered one interesting thing that made me re-thing my
suggestion to the protocol: http://hessian.caucho.com/ - this is a more
or less standardized binary protocol that is simple, efficient,
well-documented
(http://hessian.caucho.com/doc/hessian-serialization.html) and
availiable for most languages. So I would recommend to use this as base
for the new protocol.

To the plain protocol different levels of encryption and/or signing
could be added. This could either be done using a shared secret (simples
way) or by using certificates (IMO the best way; but has the
disadvantage that for each node a certificate must be created).
Another interesting approach it to use a splitted shared secret that
consists of one part that is put to the command definition (or to an
external file to prevent that it's read via web interface) plus an
second part that is defined in the host configuration. Both together
would build the really used shared secret. This would it allow to use
different shared secrets for each host while keeping the setup simple
and without exposing the secrets to the Nagios web interface.

If you have more suggestions to this, let it discuss here. If there are
some crypto experts in this list, please take in the discussion how the
nrpe communication can be secured while keeping things easy.

Unfortunately I'm not a C programmer, so I cannot do these changes on
Nagios in a good quality. But if we reach a final "spec", I can document
it somewhere and I could provide a reference implementation in Java.

Regards,
Michael.