[Nagiosplug-devel] Please can I have GIT access

Holger Weiß holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Sat Aug 29 18:18:07 CEST 2009

* Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> [2009-08-29 12:12]:
> In may I submitted a patch to check_procs along with complete documentation,
> motivation, example config.
>
> It was discussed a couple of times, I pushed, some more chat then nothing.
> People seemed happy with it, but no one did anything ...

I know (very well) that it can be frustrating when patches don't get
accepted, but I'm afraid your impression that everyone "seemed happy
with it" is not quite correct.  See the previous discussion on this
topic:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.plugins.devel/6577

Both team members who commented on your patch stated that they are
unhappy with the fact that your plugin uses a file for holding state
information.  I tend to agree with them: while I do see that a mechanism
for holding state information could be useful for some plugins, I'd
prefer a generic solution over home-brewn implementations in individual
plugins.  Apart from that, Thomas raised the concern that the changes
are quite invasive and therefore suggested to outsource the new
functionality into a separate plugin.

> so I shall put it into the repository myself.

Is that a question?

> Please give me a GIT account.

I'd be more than happy to see new team members who have the motiviation,
time, and skills to look into other people's bug reports and to review
and test their patches.  But asking for Git access in order to be able
to push your own stuff before a consensus was reached is quite a
different pair of shoes.  While I do have Git access, I would not
(ab)use it to push any patch of mine without seriously addressing such
concerns from Thomas and Matthias.

Holger