[Nagiosplug-devel] Please can I have GIT access

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 19:11:54 CEST 2009

OK: now 2 ways of storing the state info.

Could you please point me at examples of the 2 techniques below.

Can I assume that either would be perfectly acceptable ?

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:59:42AM -0400, Max wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Hiren Patel<hir3npatel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alain Williams wrote:
> >> I cannot see how else to do it - the information needs to be stored somewhere.
> >> No one suggested anything else.
> >>

> > I also don't know any other good way to keep the information, either
> > than a state file.
>
> Sorry I didn't see this whole plugin thread when it first came out; we
> use Memcache for this purpose (for SNMP delta processing).  Yes,
> external dependency, but performance is excellent and you can move the
> cache off-host if you need to :).

This does seem much more complicated than just giving a file name, more difficult
for an end user to set up. It is also RAM kept permanently in use, whereas
with a file - it is opened once every 5 minutes.

Why do you consider this superior to using a file ? After all nagios itself
uses a status.dat file to store state info.
I don't understand.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 06:03:41PM +0200, Joerg Linge wrote:
> Hiren Patel schrieb:
> > Alain Williams wrote:
> >> I does not have a configuration file.
> >>
> >> Yes: it does have a state file -- to record cpu hogging processes at the
> >> time that it runs, so it can check if the same ones are running X minutes later.
> >>
> >> I cannot see how else to do it - the information needs to be stored somewhere.
> >> No one suggested anything else.
> >>

> > I also don't know any other good way to keep the information, either
> > than a state file.
>
> Let Nagios push the last perfdata and timestamp back to the plugin next time it will called by using On-Demand Macros.
>
> So its possible for the Plugin to parse its own perfdata and compute the delta.

I can't see that....

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/