[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: gethostbyname instead of getaddrinfo

Olivier 'Babar' Raginel nagios at babar.us
Wed Feb 11 08:06:15 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:00:50PM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:
> On a Debian Etch system. Running tcpdump -p -i eth4 host 192.168.24.2
> and port domain. nscd not running.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf has:
>
> search localdomain
> nameserver 192.168.24.2

Something I think worth mentionning is that Debian Lenny ships with
mdns4 confgiuration, which adds one layer (2 even) per requests, as
shown in nsswitch.conf:
# grep ^hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
Debian Etch:
hosts:          files dns
Debian Lenny:
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

I couldn't really mesure the impact of these changes for your current
issue, but I think it's worth mentionning that not all OSes in the world
have nsswitch.conf set to only "files dns".

> So I think the only thing that needs to be done in the plugins code is
> to reduce the use of is_host.

Agreed.

--
Babar.