[Nagiosplug-devel] Forking the contrib section?

Ton Voon ton.voon at opsera.com
Fri Jul 17 18:27:40 CEST 2009

On 17 Jul 2009, at 04:11, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> I was looking at some repository clone that included patches to /
> contrib
> and that got me an idea. The policy right now is to encourage
> authors to
> move away contrib plugins to Nagiosexchange.

The official location is exchange.nagios.org. I've just updated the
dev guidelines and nagiosplugins.org to reflect.

> However many need the
> Nagios-plugins tree to compile, and most lost their original authors.
> Meanwhile some useful plugins in there get patches from time to time
> that we don't really want to apply because we don't really want to
> support that unsupported section.

Isn't the compile problem one that should be solved with a nagiosplug-
dev library?

> I'd like to fork /contrib to a separate git repository and add a "mob"
> user (unrestricted check-in access to the "mob" branch) for people to
> commit things , then we can do a short review from time to time and
> merge changes from the mob branch.
>
> Think of this as a service to help the community maintaining these
> plugins without any guarantee regarding the quality and safety of
> these
> plugins from the Nagios-Plugins team. I believe that it would
> relieve us
> of that plugins section and help the community getting patches in.
>
> /contrib could then become a git submodule that can be included for
> compiling the plugins.

I think this is a good idea, though I have doubts on how used it will
be.

I think we're getting to the stage where I think we can start
accepting some more plugins into the core. I'd welcome any one wishing
to join the team and look after specific new plugins.