[Nagiosplug-devel] Check_http suggestion

Mark Mathieson Mark.Mathieson at concepts.co.nz
Wed Jun 10 01:35:41 CEST 2009

Greetings All,

I was wondering if anyone had considered forcing, or at least allowing, the check_http plug-in to use the local *_proxy variables.  It doesn't appear to use them at the moment.

It may seem an odd sort of request, so I'll explain the situation briefly.  I have a Nagios server that can see the outside world directly, but all of the internal users use a proxy.  I'm running check_http to verify that web access is available to users and various internal services.  Thing is, because the existing check_http doesn't use a proxy but the users do, if the proxy link goes down, Nagios thinks everything is fine and I don't find out that it's not until users start screaming.

I've tried embedding the call in a script, exporting the *_proxy variables manually, but check_http happily ignores the variables and will continue returned success values due to the direct link, even if you turn the proxy off!  I can't turn the direct link off, as there are other checks that rely on it.

My only other option appears to be writing my own plug-in leveraging wget.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark Mathieson
Senior Systems Engineer
computer concepts limited

Notice of confidential information:
The information contained in this e-mail message is
confidential information and may also be legally privileged,
intended only for the individual or entity named above.
If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any use, review, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this document is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this document in error, please
immediately notify the sender by telephone and destroy the
message. Thank you.

Any pricing quoted in this email is exclusive of GST and freight
and is only valid while stocks are available at the quoted price.