[Nagiosplug-devel] how do I get a patch integrated

Hiren Patel hir3npatel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 12:57:59 CEST 2009

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 07:11:18PM +0200, Matthias Eble wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, den 26.05.2009, 16:43 +0100 schrieb Alain Williams:
>>> About a week ago I put up a patch for the check_procs plugin, I have not
>>> seen any comment about it. How can I help it to be made part of the released version ?
>>>
>>> You can view a description of it here:
>>>
>>> 	http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2794120&group_id=29880&atid=397599
>>>
>> Hi Alain,
>>
>> I had a short look at it and I somewhat disliked the fact that it makes
>> use of a temp file. Even though this looks absolutely arguable for your
>> enhancement, we usually avoid temporary files:
>> http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html#AEN254
>>
>> Submitting patches to the tracker and ringing the bells on np-devel if
>> nothing happens is the right approach.
>>
>> Detecting a CPU hog would be a nice thing, though. Other opinions?
>
> No comments since -- neither has it been integrated with HEAD.
>
> What do I need to do to get the patch put in ?

opinion:
personally this feature would make no difference to me, in our setup we
use check_procs to ensure that service x is running, we hardly use any
of the other metrics. we have load and swap checks for CPU/memory abuse,
and we usually log onto the machine at the time of an alert to see what
the offender is and deal with it as needed.
it is an interesting feature though.