[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-2632995 ] check_procs fails on Solaris

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 17 08:42:03 CET 2009

Bugs item #2632995, was opened at 2009-02-24 04:08
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by dermoth
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=2632995&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: General plugin execution
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Hi,

check_procs v2019 (nagios-plugins 1.4.13) exits with "Unable to read output" on most of our Solaris8 and Solaris 10 servers (I do not have access to any Solaris9 servers). 1.4.11 works just fine. I've attached the truss output.

- Werner

Date: 2009-03-17 03:42

Message:
Sorry for the late reply... According pst3 header comment (I have no idea
how it compares to "ps" though):
* This executable works by reading process address structures, so needs
* to be executed as root

Regarding 64bits, I might be wrong but IIRC that's needed to get data
about 64bit processes. Maybe that's somehow related to the root requisite
as well, since it's probably a different way than "ps".

I will have to look for a way to support cleanly both compilers, probably
using autoconf. I'll look further into this when I can.

Thanks

Comment By: Werner (forsbring)
Date: 2009-03-12 09:23

Message:
Nope, not trying to run from source repository. But after looking into the
buildlogs I guess I found the problem. You assume we use gcc, and the
compiler option -m64 is used for pst3, which is not working with cc from
older SunStudio.

Why do pst3 have to be setuid root when /usr/bin/ps and /usr/ucp/ps don't?
And regarding the 64-bit requirement, why? Almost no other binaries on
Solaris is 64-bit. The pst3-thing seems like a ugly hack to me, sorry. :)

Date: 2009-02-24 04:29

Message:
Thanks for the debug output. Nagios-plugins now use pst3 to get the process
list and this program needs to be installed and setuid root (I think old
versions of nagios-plugins used it too, so you may have it already on some
servers).

It looks like you're trying to run from the source repository. Be sure to
install the plugins, or at least hand-install pst3 (in plugins-root/
directory, don't forget to setuit root).

If you still have issues I'll be able to help you is you can send the
truss output again with the option to follow forks (-f).