[Nagiosplug-devel] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Contributing patches and retaining copyright

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Wed May 6 14:35:34 CEST 2009

> We're following advice given by FSF: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
> gpl-faq.html#AssignCopyright
>
> If you have contributed some code to the project, we thank you and
> we make sure you (and/or your company) get credit. But in reality,
> the team take on the responsibility to make sure that the code
> continues to work correctly. Not just at commit time, but forever.

Well, the above FAQ entry does not mention a single word about
"ease of maintainance of code", but instead it's all about those
GPL fanatics and their lawyers. While I like the GPL, I do not
like the fanatism some of the "open source evangalists" come
around like. No offense here against anyone involved in this
discussion - I do have some special people of the GPL public
in mind, but I don't like calling names.

> I think this continued responsibility should be reflected in the
> ownership of the code.
>
> The upshot for you (and/or your company) is that you no longer
> maintain that code anymore - that has to be worth something!

I don't think that continued responsibility has _anything_ to do
with ownership - at least not with GPLed code.

Regards
        Sascha

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522