[Nagiosplug-devel] Git commit e-mails

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri May 22 15:42:53 CEST 2009

Johannes Dagemark wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> Personally I like to get things as one email, and getting the diff in
>> the email is *usually* not interesting (assuming proper commit messages
>> are always written).
>>

> how about a proper link to the commit or commitdiff on
> http://repo.or.cz/w/nagiosplugins.git instead of including the diff in
> the email, that way if you are interested on reading up on the patch its
> just a click away

I like the simplicity of it, but I intensely dislike the fact that this
makes one repository far more "central" than any other. Also, the URL's
to view certain patches are quite clunky to work with, and anyone who's
actually interested in the patches could just as well run

  git log -p $old..$new

from within their git repository (why be interested in patches if you
don't want the code?). Printing that little command above in the email
might be a good idea though, as it lets you just run

   git fetch && $copy_pasted_command

to see absolutely everything.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

on peace.