[Nagiosplug-devel] Git commit e-mails

Matthias Eble PsychoTrahe at gmx.de
Fri May 22 19:14:15 CEST 2009

Am Freitag, den 22.05.2009, 13:24 +0100 schrieb Ton Voon:
> I would insist on keeping the diffs in the email.

Maybe the use cases differ.
Some might want to get notified about checkins and check them using git.
Some others might like to skim over checkins and, if needed, do further
analysis using git.

I personally like the old way (having the diffsin the email) as I
usually have a short look at the checkins when I'm in the office doing
some other things. If the commit message sounds interesting, then I can
have a short look at the diffs without having to switch to a console,
navigate to a local git repo,... It's just a scroll away.

I'd personally prefer having one mail with a meaningful subject for each
commit. That's because you never know which commits are actually
combined in the mail body. Maybe they cover the same issue, maybe not.
Users would have to inspect the message rather than checking the subject
line to see what's going on in the tree.

But I'd cede to the majority also

Matthias