[Nagiosplug-devel] Git commit e-mails

Holger Weiß holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Sat Oct 24 22:50:32 CEST 2009

* Ton Voon <ton.voon at opsera.com> [2009-05-22 10:27]:
> I would personally prefer one email per commit as it is easier to··
> glance at what is happening and just read the subject to get an idea··
> of the changes and the importance. The 5 minute delay is not a big deal.
>·
> A quick look at the nagiosplug-checkins list (which has 181 members)··
> shows out of 38 members, 4 wanted a digest. So 90% of the members to··
> this list prefer individual emails. If git sends out individual··
> emails, then the list digest would act as the summary view.
>·
> However, I'd cede to the majority if a summarised view is preferred.

That doesn't seem to be the case.  Therefore, I now grabbed (and
modified) a copy of the git-notify script (maintained by the Wine
people), which generates one e-mail per commit *see tools/git-notify in
our repository).  Our version of the script will also send notifications
if tags or branch heads are created or deleted, or if the history is
rewritten.

The generated e-mails look somewhat similar to the Subversion commit
notifications we currently get.  See, for example:

ftp://ftp.in-berlin.de/pub/users/weiss/nagios/plugins/commit-mails/example-2.txt

If nobody objects, I'll switch our setup over to the new script sometime
next week.

Holger