[Nagiosplug-devel] Please can I have GIT access

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 16:25:39 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 10:05:01AM -0400, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> The plugin can easily detect if the FH isn't open and throw an helpful
> error. Moreover, I believe nagios should be told explicitly to store
> data for a command.

Nooooo! This is an invitation to errors.
What you are suggesting is that the plugin is to expect FD 3 to be open
and use it to read/write data from (or was it FD 3 to read, FD 4 to write?).

The problem is that the plugin can't really tell what the FD is connected to.
So: when[**] the plugin is invoked and FD 3 is open on something else that
got inherited (some bug in the shell, login, sudo, ... left it open on /etc/passwd)
and it just uses it .... you have a disaster.

Also: I don't about you, but when playing with a new plugin I run it a few
times by hand from the shell. It is much more difficult to have the
FDs open as opposed to a --statefile=/xxxx option.

[**] - when, not if. It might be a long time, but it will happen at some point.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/