[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-2864596 ] 1.4.14 no longer compiles on solaris

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 23 16:29:31 CEST 2009

Bugs item #2864596, was opened at 2009-09-22 17:38
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by robert_sheets
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=2864596&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: Compilation
Group: None

Initial Comment:
This is a regression relative to 1.4.13. Compilation aborts with the following messages:

/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -DNP_VERSION='"1.4.14"' -g -O2   -L. -o pst3 -m64 pst3-pst3.o  -lpthread -ldl
gcc -DNP_VERSION=\"1.4.14\" -g -O2 -o pst3 -m64 pst3-pst3.o  -L/home/rsheets/nagios-plugins-trunk-200909221200/plugins-root -lpthread -ldl
rpl_open                            pst3-pst3.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to pst3
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `pst3'
Current working directory /home/rsheets/nagios-plugins-trunk-200909221200/plugins-root
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /home/rsheets/nagios-plugins-trunk-200909221200
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

options to configure were --prefix=/opt/nagios-plugins-trunk --without-openssl
OS is solaris 9
uname -a output is SunOS remedy0 5.9 Generic_118558-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R
I'm not sure how to get make to tell me its version, but it is /usr/ccs/bin/make
gcc -v reports the following:
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.4.1/specs
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.1

Please contact me if any other information would be helpful.

Date: 2009-09-23 10:29

Message:
Make failed, but not as you predicted. If it matters, I applied the patch
and ran tools/setup on a linux machine, as the solaris box does not have
GNU Make, among other apparent prerequisites of the setup script. The patch
applied cleanly. Here's the last few lines of the make output (on
solaris):

Making all in plugins
make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 1579: Unexpected end of line
seen
Current working directory /home/rsheets/nagiosplugins/plugins
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /home/rsheets/nagiosplugins
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

Line 1579 of plugins/Makefile is this:
install-html: install-html-am

Comment By: Thomas Guyot-Sionnest (dermoth)
Date: 2009-09-23 01:52

Message:
Looks like YAGB (Yet Another Gnulib Bug). Please try the attached patch:

1. Get the latest snapshot from repos.or.cz (not the daily snapsot!)
http://repo.or.cz/w/nagiosplugins.git?a=snapshot;f=tgz
2. Apply the patch (see attached files below)
3. Run tools/setup (this can be done form another system like Linux if you
don't have recent auto-tools on Solaris), then you can copy the directory
tree to the solaris and run configure.)

NB: There's a small probklem with gnulib that I haven't sorted out yet, if
make fails with something like:
***  /bin/bash: arpa: command not found
just add MKDIR_P="mkdir -p" to your make command, i.e.:
$ make MKDIR_P="mkdir -p"

Please let me know if you have difficulties getting the source
patched/setup'ed and I'll prepare a distrib snapshot for you

Comment By: Robert C. Sheets (robert_sheets)
Date: 2009-09-22 17:39

Message:
Forgot to add to my initial report: the problem exists in 1.4.14 as well as
trunk-200909221200