[Nagiosplug-devel] check_snmp OID numbers limited?

William Leibzon william at leibzon.org
Sat Jul 10 08:34:25 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest <dermoth at aei.ca> wrote:

>> To be fair, at the point you need that many OIDs you should really
>> start using the MIB files.
>
> What difference would it make? There would still be the same limit, and
> the performance when doing lots of snmp-based checks would be a lot
> worse, especially since Net-SNMP doesn't yet support pre-compiled MIBs
> so it has to parse and compile them all at each invocation.

Thomas is right. Since chances of OID changing are close to none, you
should use numbers or you can just assign oid number to some variable
with proper name directly in your code. And for those who need better
support there is snmptt:
  http://snmptt.sourceforge.net/

And perhaps we should increase default to 10 instead of 5, I've ran
into that myself too. Would other people who want it and those who
object please tell, so we could do a quick poll here.

William