[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-2946553 ] check_dns returns incorrect state when specifying server

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 29 17:04:33 CEST 2010

Bugs item #2946553, was opened at 2010-02-05 08:59
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by lelutin
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=2946553&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: General plugin execution
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Plugin Version (-V output): check_dns v1992 (nagios-plugins 1.4.13)
Plugin Name: check_dns
Plugin Commandline showing issues: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_dns -H www.test.com -s 1.1.1.1
Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga)

An incorrect state is returned when checking that the dns server ( 1.1.1.1 ) can resolve the host www.test.com when the dns server is down. The following command is used

 /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_dns -H www.test.com -s 1.1.1.1

If the DNS server is unavailable the check still returns OK. This worked correctly on RHEL 5.3 but not in Rhel 5.4

It appears that the behaviour of nslookup has changed between

bind-utils-9.3.4-10.P1.el5

and

bind-utils-9.3.6-4.P1.el5

On RHEL 5.3  bind-utils-9.3.4-10.P1.el5, nslookup timed out when querying against a server that was not working.

[root at nagios nagios]# nslookup www.rm.com 194.238.49.43

On RHEL 5.4 bind-utils-9.3.6-4.P1.el5, the same query against a non existent dns server returns an ip address.

[root at nagios ~]# nslookup www.rm.com 1.1.1.1
Server:         10.34.1.11
Address:        10.34.1.11#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.rm.com
Address: 2.2.2.2

It appears that nslookup now makes best efforts to resolve the query even if it cant resolve it against the server specified. This results in an incorrect state being returned when using check dns to ensure that a specific mail server is working correctly.

Comment By: lelutin (lelutin)