[Nagiosplug-devel] State retention functionality

Holger Weiß holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Wed Jun 16 19:16:38 CEST 2010

* William Preston <nagiosplug-devel at spidalinx.co.uk> [2010-06-16 18:27]:
> On Jun 16, 2010, at 5:29 PM, Ton Voon wrote:
> > I have a need to enhance check_snmp to provide support for differences
> > between counters and so I'm going to create some library functions for
> > handling state between invocations of a plugin. I've been working with
> > Holger on the design and we're happy with this:
> >   http://nagiosplugins.org/rfc/state_retention
> >
> > This is based on the email threads some time ago started by Alain.
> > I've taken all the comments and tried to get something small and neat.
> >
> > Any comments welcome. I'm planning on starting to code this tomorrow.
>
> I realise I've come a bit late to the party here, but
> have you considered memcached?
>
> It seems to me to be a tried and trusted mechanism that many
> admins are already familiar with, is distributed, cached, scaleable etc.

While I'm all for reusing code, memcached really solves a different
problem.  We just need a simple solution to store and retrieve trivial
amounts of data in a specific way.  Admins shouldn't be bothered with
setting up and maintaining the storage at all.  So a "distributed,
cached, scaleable etc." client-server solution seems to be overkill to
me.

> And it should be less work to implement than building something new :-)

In this case, I think the opposite is true.

Holger