[Nagiosplug-devel] State retention functionality

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Thu Jun 17 14:06:05 CEST 2010

2010/6/17 Holger Weiß <holger at cis.fu-berlin.de>:
> * Max <perldork at webwizarddesign.com> [2010-06-17 07:39]:
>> We have been using memcached on our pollers for state retention and
>> delta calculation with very good success - on one of our more active
>> pollers several thousand of the active service checks it runs every 5
>> minutes use memcached for state.
>>
>> So while you might not like memcached it works quite well and scales
>> well
>
> I did not dispute that memcached works well, I said that it's overkill
> for the job at hand.

And I would counter that installing an RPM / other binary package or
building it from source and then running on Linux

/sbin/service memcached start

is pretty trivial.  We have our memcached instances set to 60 MB (the
default) and have never hit that limit.

For an embedded platform running Nagios using memcached would be
overkill and not the right choice.

- Max