[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-3008084 ] check_dhcp Microsoft Server Options 66 and 67 CRITICAL

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu May 27 19:43:15 CEST 2010

Bugs item #3008084, was opened at 2010-05-27 12:43
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by mstng67
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=3008084&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: General plugin execution
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Plugin Version (-V output): check_dhcp v1.4.14 (nagios-plugins 1.4.14)
Plugin Name: check_dhcp
Plugin Commandline showing issues: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_dhcp -s 192.168.0.16
Output from above command: CRITICAL: Received 1 DHCPOFFER(s), 0 of 1 requested servers responded, max lease time = 0 sec.
Operating System: Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition
Architecture: x86
Compiler: ??? The plugins were installed using APT.
The change that prompted the CRITICAL output: Added Microsoft DHCP server options 66 and 67 to DHCP server configuration. These options are Boot Server Host Name and Bootfile Name, respectively. Restart the DHCP service. The next check of the DHCP server yielded the above output.
Number of DHCP servers on the network: 1. The above mentioned MS DHCP server is the only DHCP server on the network.

My guess is that the plugin is incorrectly parsing the options returned in the DHCPOFFER. I have no proof to back up this theory except that if the DHCP server is re-configured back to the known good (without options 66 and 67) then the plugin returns OK. If options 66 and 67 are configured the plugin returns CRITICAL for the specified server.

Until a fix is released, I have simply removed the -s 192.168.0.16 portion of the command config file for the dhcp plugin to ensure that the plugin responds OK as long as it receives a DHCPOFFER. I know that it's a temporary fix, but it's what I know to do for now. If you need additional information, please email me.