[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-2989193 ] check_smtp HELO bad default and -F missing from --help

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 30 15:42:21 CET 2010

Bugs item #2989193, was opened at 2010-04-19 09:22
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by hweiss
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=2989193&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: v1.4.14

Initial Comment:
The following Bugreport we got against our debian package:

Hi,

I noticed our check_smtp was sending garbage in HELO,

% /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_smtp -v 127.0.0.1 | head -1
HELOCMD: HELO shortmachinename

When is it ever a good idea to send the unqualified hostname as HELO?
Doing that to an actual real-world SMTP server just makes Nagios look like
a spammer :)

But regardless of the crap default, I went to fix that in the local config,
but didn't find any way. By reading the source I discovered that it was
actually possible by using -F, but:

% /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_smtp --help | grep -- -F
%

You can track the bugreport via

Thanks and kind regards, Jan.

Date: 2010-11-30 15:42

Message:
The -F option is now documented in the --help output.  Thanks!

But we won't change the default behaviour.  The only reasonable way to get
the FQDN would be to issue a DNS query asking for the PTR record of some IP
address (given that your system might have multiple addresses: which one?).
 However, the standard says that the server MUST accept any garbage.  So,
as far as I'm concerned, it's quite reasonable for a Nagios plugin to use
some dummy value and let the users who care configure the FQDN manually.

Comment By: Jan Wagner (cyco_dd)
Date: 2010-04-19 11:07

Message:
Our actual patch for the help output can be found at
http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-nagios/nagios-plugins/trunk/debian/patches/03_check_smtp_help.dpatch