[Nagiosplug-devel] check_nrpe.c, randomize_buffer

Jann Horn jannhorn at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 1 23:30:58 CEST 2010

Hello,
today I looked into the source of the check_nrpe plugin and found this
(file check_nrpe.c, line 186, plugin last modified 03-10-2008 (latest
one I was able to find on sourceforge)):

/* clear the packet buffer */
bzero(&send_packet,sizeof(send_packet));

/* fill the packet with semi-random data */
randomize_buffer((char *)&send_packet,sizeof(send_packet));

I've got two questions about this. First one, why does send_packet get
cleared before getting filled with random data? And why does the
remaining space in the buffer have to be filled with random data?

Jann Horn