[Nagiosplug-devel] Adaptive Latency Checking Script

Samuel Kidman Samuel.Kidman at panres.com
Fri Aug 26 10:10:09 CEST 2011

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone knows if anything is out there that
checks latency and sets threshholds by itself? Ie. The check
continuously checks latency to a host and notices if the latency goes up
significantly (say, by a percentage of the 'normal' value)

I've tried to write something like this myself but I get stuck on two
things:

1.       How do you make it allow for situations where the latency
increases to a new level for a long period of time?

2.       How do you detect what the 'good' value is?

Assume that the measured latency will always keep the same value (on
average) if nothing else is affecting it. That is, there is some unknown
value for the latency that is considered 'normal', the script works out
this value during it's operation and then uses that value to work out if
the measured latency is too high.

Regards,

Sam Kidman

IT Support Officer