[Nagiosplug-devel] Integrating Nagios with Test Driven Development

Vonnahme, Nathan nathan.vonnahme at bannerhealth.com
Thu Jun 9 00:25:58 CEST 2011

Hello Nagios devs,

I've been pretty dormant on these lists for a while, partly because our Nagios installation is humming along so merrily, and partly because my job has changed to be more development-oriented and less sysadmin-oriented. But I had a great idea (imho) last week and I've implemented and wrote about it and I want to share it with you and solicit feedback.

In a nutshell, I've written a plugin to integrate Nagios with any software testing tool that emits TAP (Test Anything Protocol), such as Perl test scripts and unit and functional tests written in a bunch of different languages.

I've described it in detail in a blog post:
  http://n8v.enteuxis.org/2011/06/integrating-nagios-with-test-driven-development/

And the code is on GitHub:
  https://gist.github.com/1005409

I've been pretty excited about the idea and have already been using it in production to improve several parts of our Nagios monitoring.

Please take a look at it and let me know your thoughts via these lists or comments on the blog or Gist.

Thanks,
nathan

--
Nathan.Vonnahme at BannerHealth.com
Software Engineer Sr at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital     1650 Cowles St, Fairbanks, Alaska 99701      907-458-5464