[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-3095106 ] check_http return code 141 with SSL connection error

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue May 29 00:03:01 CEST 2012

Bugs item #3095106, was opened at 2010-10-25 12:15
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by hweiss
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=3095106&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: General plugin execution
Group: release-1.4.15

Initial Comment:
Under certain scenarios the check_http plugin will fail with the message "CRITICAL - Cannot make SSL connection" but the return code will be set to 141, and not 2. See the following snippet I posted to both mail lists for details:

We're currently experiencing some problems with our Cisco Content switch
that is causing numerous service checks relying on check_http to fail,
with '(Return code of 141 is out of bounds)'. Running the check by hand:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_http  -H SITE.colorado.edu -p 443 -w 10
-s 20 -t 30 -u "/URL/" -s "<title>title</title>" -S; echo $?

result:

CRITICAL - Cannot make SSL connection
141

So, the plugin is correctly stating that it had trouble initiating an
SSL connection, but the return code is out of bounds. After looking
through both sslutils.c and check_http.c I've somewhat zeroed in on the
problem. The function call:

np_net_ssl_init_with_hostname(sd, (use_sni ? host_name : NULL));

Correctly returns an error code of 2 back to check_http on about line
810, however the return code of this function call never seems to be
checked. The plugin finally bombs out at line 879 when it tries to send
the constructed buffer using my_send(). This is when the return code of
141 is generated.

I reproduced this condition using the latest nagios-plugins available,
nagios-plugins-1.4.15.

Comment By: Holger Weiss (hweiss)
Date: 2012-05-28 15:03

Message:
This problem is now fixed in Git. Thank you for your report.