[Nagiosplug-devel] nagios plugins in a cluster

Dejan Muhamedagic dejan at hello-penguin.com
Wed Nov 14 18:17:07 CET 2012

Hello,

I'm involved in several open source projects for HA clustering
(pacemaker, corosync, linux-ha). We're looking into using nagios
plugins for monitoring of cluster managed resources. To make that
possible it is necessary for a plugin to be able to print its
documentation as structured document (aka XML). Content-wise, it
is more or less like what --help produces, just with XML
scaffolding.

The way I wanted to deal with this is fairly straightforward, i.e.
with a static array of options which includes all help text and
from which one can then produce either the --help text (as it is
now) or an XML document. I'd probably put together some custom
text processing code to convert the --help output into C code.

Would that be acceptable for inclusion in the nagios plugins
project?

Cheers,

Dejan