[Nagiosplug-devel] New Threshold Syntax

Holger Weiß holger at cis.fu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 21 14:35:59 CEST 2013

* Páll Guðjón Sigurðsson <palli at ok.is> [2013-07-15 20:57]:
> We implemented same RFC in pynag (python modules for nagios related
> stuff). We also hit some walls and wanted to make modifications.
> Unfortunately, it's been a long time since it was written and author of
> the proposal is not answering my emails on the topic.
>
> I am not sure if there is a lot of motivation among the nagios-plugins
> folks to implement this RFC, so i wonder if third party libraries like
> you and should coordinate on it anyway ?

We (the Plugins Development Team) discussed this internally, but we
haven't really reached a consensus on how to proceed.  Some concerns
have been raised regarding the added complexity and the amount of
refactoring necessary to check only for specified thresholds.

Either way, I guess we must acknowledge that we currently lack the
manpower to implement a new threshold syntax, which means we'll probably
stick to the current syntax for the time being.  So I'd say yes: Please
move ahead independently of us.  Personally I quite like the new syntax,
and if you settled on the details and it works well for you, we can
still decide on whether and how to adopt it :-)

Thanks a lot for your work on this!

Holger