FW: Re: Nagios plugin installation

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Fri Nov 29 19:18:38 CET 2013

On 28.11.2013 14:02, Kolla, Prasanth wrote:
> Hi Team,
> Can you please respond to my question below
> ________________________________

(You bumped the thread four hours BEFORE the original request ... !?)

> I need to install the Nagios plugins to monitor a remote sftp server
> and also I want to do a file transfer (ftp) to that remote server,
> not only the monitoring a remote server can anyone let me know
> whether we can do the file transfer  to the remote sftp server using
> Nagios NRPE.

The terms "SFTP" and "FTPS" are not unique (four or more different
usages). You might want to clarify which variant you're referring to.

The original Unix "ftp" client and SSH's "sftp" client are rather easy
to script canned procedures for. Such a scripted action can be *started*
through NRPE (just like a check plugin would be), but keep in mind that
Nagios expects "plugin" executions to complete (or time out) within
short order. *Tunneling* the FTP/SFTP connection inside the NRPE
connection is likely impossible; Unlike SSH (think check_by_ssh), NRPE
was never *meant* to provide tunnels.

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel