[Nagiosplug-devel] --extra-opts (was: New Threshold Syntax)

Páll Guðjón Sigurðsson palli at ok.is
Wed Sep 4 14:18:25 CEST 2013

Python's optparse does not support optional arguments and you are right, if what follows extra-opts is an option (like -jk) its easy to make an educated guess. However the spec said that extra-opts can be specified anywhere on the command-line and consider the following scenario:

# check_stuff --extra-opts host.example.com

In the above example its impossible to tell if "host.example.com" is a section name or an argument to the plugin.

For that reason, i'd like to propose that the spec removes the reference to --extra-opts without arguments and instead assumed the following (which are all fairly standard) to achieve the same effect.

--extra-opts=
--extra-opts=''
--extra-opts ''

I have no problem with current implementations that support the optional argument, but it feels quite quirky to me, and should be considered a "hidden feature" in current implementations :)

Cheers,
Palli