[HEADS UP] New project name: Monitoring Plugins

Robin Sonefors robin.sonefors at op5.com
Fri Jan 17 10:36:29 CET 2014

On 2014-01-17 00:49, William Leibzon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Michael Friedrich
>> Kicking Andreas Ericsson out of the Nagios Core development team, who wrote
>> 99% of Nagios 4 and then let him fork Naemon? Priceless. (you might need to
>> see the full presentation from last years OSMC:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgbbyyNIiHc )
>
> Andreas did major rework on nagios3->nagios4. Its really good work.
> But he is really hard on policing what goes into core and not allowing
> fully joined development. This happens in open-source regularly when
> lead developer is a bit of a nazi but this does not promote
> cooperation and growth of the project and without new developers
> project stagnates. I told him all that privately.

(I'm getting off-topic, but you used the N-word about my friend, so...)

The amusing thing is, while working on Nagios, Andreas was unable to
give others commit access, which meant he had to read and review a lot
of patches by himself. Some got lost, some weren't received as warmly as
they perhaps should/could have, reviewing patches is *boring*.

Now that he works on Naemon, others - like myself - have permissions to
review and apply patches as well. So, somewhat counter-intuitively, the
project initiated by said "nazi" should be better at promoting cooperation.

Sometimes, a bad outcome is the result of being given bad tools to work
with.