check_http with a single string

Julen Larrucea julenlist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 20:24:42 CEST 2019

Hi there,

The check_http plugin is excellent and has tons of options for every use
case, but I have a "feature request".

Would it be possible to make it accept a single parameter with all of the
(most common) information?
Examples:

- check_http -X http://example.com:82
- check_http -X https://username:password@example.com/login

This way, we could use a single list of strings (for example in icinga2
host.vars.vhosts) and easily cover all the virtual hosts in a machine
without complex dictionaries and exceptions.

I wrote a wrapper which parses the values and calls check_http with the
right parameters, but it would be cleaner to have it built-in into the
plugin itself.
Unfortunately I am not so good at C :(  but for someone who can, and is
familiar with the plugin, it should be relatively simple. Just parse the
sting some some regexp-es and assign the parsed variables to the existing
ones in the plugin.

Any thoughts?

  Best regards

--