[Nagiosplug-devel] return code 139, 142

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Dec 5 12:18:11 CET 2002

139 or 142 are the return codes received by Nagios from the popen process
- they are usually related to the error code generated by the shell .

For Bash (linux):

"EXIT STATUS
       For the shell's purposes, a command which exits with a zero exit
status has succeeded.  An exit status of zero indicates success.  A
non-zero exit status indicates failure.  When a command terminates on a
fatal signal N, bash uses the value of 128+N as the exit status.

  If a command is not found, the child process created to execute it
returns a status of 127.  If a command is found but is not executable, the
return status is 126."

139 = 128+11 ==> SIGSEGV - invalid memory reference
142 = 128+14 ==> SIGALRM - Timer signal from ALARM

-sg