[Nagiosplug-devel] RE: Nagiosplug-devel digest, Vol 1 #91 - 5 msgs

ABostick at mydoconline.com ABostick at mydoconline.com
Thu Oct 24 13:09:05 CEST 2002

Ethan,

Can NOCPulse create a custom frontend to Netsaint without releasing their
changes GPL'ed?  Surely they would have used your upgrades to Netsaint or
made their own improvements, in which case would they not be required to
give those back to the project?

I also do not doubt the $5000 a month price as I replaced a > $20000/month
outsourced monitoring solution (which sucked) with Nagios which monitors
things they could not even imagine for the price of a sigle $3500 Dell
server...

I guess what RedHat bought is NOCPulse's physical NOC (their servers running
netsaint, their internet connection, thier employees expertise, etc...)

Surely RedHat knows Nagios exists...  Why not pump some money into
contributing to Nagios and then sell a Nagios run NOC as a service to their
clients?

I agree with the other replies though.  Outsourcing monitoring is very hard
to do IMO because normally they cannot fix anything, just tell you when it
breaks...

Aaron