[Nagiosplug-devel] extarneous lines in configure.in

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Apr 2 04:41:07 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 22:43, Subhendu Ghosh wrote:

> BTW - about the docs - there is a doc dir currently with the
> devel-guidelines, it just doesn't get installed anywhere. - should we
> patch side.html to have a pointer to a developer dir under the nagios/html
> install dir?

While I do want to organize and use the doc directory, I oersonally
don't want to patch side.html -- I would rather try and keep
dependencies to Nagios small. Obviously, the two projects are tightly
linked. If an API change we needed to support Nagios, we'd do it without
hesitation. Conversely, if there were a clear need to change Nagios to
make the plgins work, I have no doubt that our opinions on that need
would be given great weight.

But to create dependencies where none exist now? That (to me) would only
seem to complicate the release process.

What might make sense along those lines, however, is for Nagios to
provide a directory into which we could dump some docs. I'm thinking of
how (on RedHat) the mod_ssl and php docs are more or less just dumped
into /var/www/html/manual. (Although that also requires patching HTML,
IIRC, which I would like to avoid).

BTW, the doc dir is presently not distributed because it was originally
envisioned as a place for building docs for the soureforge web site,
IIRC.  But back to the main topic...

What was the main topic?

We wanted to put some html docs someplace, right? I've forgotten what it
was we wanted to document.

Now I remember - how does a plugin move from contrib to core, right?

I don't care too much if the docs are HTML or text. But if they are
text, they should go into a directory docs/txt, I would think. If they
are html, I would assume they should go into docs/html.

In some perfect world, I'd prefer to write the docs as docbook XML (have
you seen the XXE xml editor?). But for now, I think html is OK. But if
so, could we try to write to strict xhtml?

(docbook/xml docs would go in docs/xml, I guess, and we could write make
rules to create html) If you want to write in XXE, I can do the
transforms.

--
Karl