[Nagiosplug-devel] a plugin to check interface errors

atonns at mail.ivillage.com atonns at mail.ivillage.com
Thu Aug 14 07:47:07 CEST 2003

I'm wondering if someone has written a plugin to check for interface errors.
I have already looked at check_ifoperstatus and check_ifstatus - and I've
already got my own versions of them for SNMPv3.

What I'm looking for is a way to detect interface errors. I've got some perl
code I'm still working on, but the data storage is killing me. To explain:

Basically, I'm walking the MIBs 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14 (ifInErrors) and
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.20 (ifOutErrors) every 10 minutes and storing them each in
an different rrd (a file named $hostname-$ifDescr.rrd). Then, I'm rrd
fetching the last 60 minutes worth of data - if there's at least
$warning_cnt errors in that time period, return warning. Finally, I'm rrd
fetching the last 180 minutes (3 hrs) worth of data - if there's an error
rate of at least $critical_rate per minute, return critical.

I'm having problems with storing the rrd data with the RRDs perl module -
I'm trying to simulate the data by pre-populating a rrd file with errors,
and I'm getting a floating point results (instead of int). I'm using RRDtool
1.0.45. FWIW, my RRD create looks like this:

        RRDs::create ( $filename,
            "--start", $now - 60,
            "--step", "600",
            "DS:ifInErrors:COUNTER:600:U:U",
            "DS:ifOutErrors:COUNTER:600:U:U",
            "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600",
            "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:150",
        );

1) Has anyone written a plugin to check interface errors?
2) Has anyone had strange problems with RRDs and float/int problems?

Thanks
Tony

--
"Computer science is as much about computers as
        astronomy is about telescopes" -- Edsger Dijkstra
Anthony Tonns, UNIX Administrator - atonns at mail.ivillage.com