[Nagiosplug-devel] check_smtp bugs

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Sun Dec 14 12:54:00 CET 2003

Andrew Eross wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I was just poking around through some of the plugins code to see how they worked and noticed that the check_smtp plugin seems to have a large number of memory leaks. It does a bunch of alloc'ing (asprintf, malloc) .. but there isn't a single free() in the entire bit of code .. just thought I'd let ya'll know

This is sort of true. Since it is run and closed, the 'leaks' don't
matter as much (if at all). If you put a repeat loop in the plugin,
you'd be dead soon.

This is very clearly on my radar screen, and I suspect I'm not the only
developer aware of the issue.

But since they are exec'd for a once-through run but nagios, it does not
matter. Not that I'm proud of it, but it really dies not matter.
Nonetheless it will also be fixed, there's really no reason it should be
that way.

Thanks for the cooment, and rest assured that it will be fixed. While I
welcome differing forpoints, I think you can alos rest assured that you
will not find that is causes problems for you. It is a very differenct
situation than in the case of a persistent object like, for example, the
emebeeded perl context, where even a small leak will cause you trouble.

--
Karl