[Nagiosplug-devel] Perf Data

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Tue Feb 18 17:08:32 CET 2003

On 18 Feb 2003 at 19:38, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 18:04, Russell Scibetti wrote:
> > If it would be helpful, this is something I can work on in parallel
> > and submit a patch as I add to each plugin.
>
> It would be very helpful, but in no case are we adding perf data before
> the release. We are in feature freeze.
>
> > Would it better to have the plugins output perfdata by default, or
> > require a cmdline arg?  I want to be as consistent between plugins as
> > possible.
>
> So far, it has been enabled by default.
>
> Not sure if that is the right decision, however.
>
> If there were not size limits on the nagios data pipe, I'd send it by
> default. But I'd hate to deserialize the pipe for an added few bytes of
> perf data that wasn't even wanted.
>
> Thoughts anyone?

[snip]

There might be a few problems if there are several targets that have
perfdata returned (i.e. in check_snmp or check_disk, as Subhendu
mentioned), but in general I would think most plugin output+perfdata
can fit easily into the 350 character limit.  In the worst case, the
perf data would simply get snipped off at the 350 char limit by the
child process before it got piped back to the parent process.

If truncation becomes a real issue, I'll have to look at modifying
the way the IPC is handled.

I guess that's a long way of saying I think perfdata should be
enabled by default. :-)

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---