[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Nagios-plugins as Debian packages

Ragnar Wisløff ragnar at skolelinux.no
Sun Jul 20 23:41:23 CEST 2003

Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:13:58PM +0200, Ragnar Wisl?ff wrote:
>

>>Siterer "Jeremy T. Bouse" <jeremy+nagios at undergrid.net>:
>>

>>>	Actually I am already working on them... I've got two sets of packages
>>>that I'm working to maintain at this time... One with the 1.3.1 release
>>>of the plugins and another a snapshot of the CVS repository...
>>>

>>OK. I've done a rebuild of the netsaint-plugins, but would like to have the
>>latest and greatest. I did not realise there was a 1.3.1. We aim for stability,
>>so I guess 1.3.1 is better than CVS ;-)
>>

>	Well if you're wanting to monitor any IPv6 enabled devices
>you'll need the CVS version... That is why I have the snapshot version
>that I have been working to update about once a month as I haven't
>automated the process too much... 1.3.1 was the most recent bug fix
>version and what I'm hoping to get into the Debian mirror as soon as I
>get Turbo (Nagios package maintainer) to either accept my updates or
>authorize me to NMU the changes myself...

Thanks for the rundown of the versions. No need for ipv6 yet in our
distro, so 1.3.1 looks like the right choice.

>>>	I have not yet released and uploaded them to the Debian mirrors yet as
>>>I'm trying to coordinate some fixes/updates to the Nagios Debian package
>>>which is maintained by Turbo... I've got a diff patch to send to him
>>>but I'm still waiting on reply from my last email to him...
>>>

>>Oh, is the official maintainer also working on a Nagios core package for woody?
>>I know he can't get them into woody, but he has made them anyway? That would be
>>very nice. I have rebuilt them with some tweaks to suit us, but to have the
>>maintainer packages would be the best.
>>

>	No he isn't working on the Nagios package for woody as he can't
>get it included into woody; However I have been working on it as my
>Nagios monitoring machines are still running woody... Part of my fixes
>were to modify the Build-depends so that it will build against stable
>and unstable... I also had to tweak the Depends, Suggests, Provides,
>Conflicts in the debian/control to allow it to better replace NetSaint
>and it's plugins...

And a good job too, the packages install without a hitch :-)

>>>	I can provide you with the URL for apt-get that I have the current
>>>packages I'm testing located but if you're running the default package
>>>for Nagios by Turbo the configuration will fail...
>>>

>>OK, but that's just a little change to the dependencies to change that in the
>>Nagios package? If you have nagios-packges that go with the plugins we can test
>>them out as well.
>>

>	I have a Nagios 1.1-1.1 package compiled for both Woody and Sid
>that has my fixes I'm trying to get approved by Turbo as I'm not the
>Nagios maintainer along with Nagios-plugins 1.3.1-0 and
>Nagios-plugins-snapshot 1.3.99-0.cvs.2003.07.11 all reachable via
>apt-get by adding one of the following:
>
>	dep http://people.debian.org/~jbouse/nagios/ sid/i386/
>	dep http://people.debian.org/~jbouse/nagios/ woody/i386/
>
>	Also the source DEBs are available via:
>
>	dep-src http://people.debian.org/~jbouse/nagios/ sid/source/
>	dep-src http://people.debian.org/~jbouse/nagios/ woody/source/

Wonderful. Thanks.

>	Again though the Nagios packages up there are modified by me
>not the Nagios package maintainer. The plugin packages however are by me
>so report any problems to me directly as they are not currently in the
>Debian mirror and thus the BTS would not handle the requests properly...

So far no problems have been observed, but I'll let you know if I come
across something.

>>Thanks for your quick reply.
>>

>	Not a problem... Wife says I live on the computer so what am I
>to do :)

Heh, sounds like here :-)

Ragnar