[Nagiosplug-devel] IPv6 support in Nagios

Janos Mohacsi mohacsi at niif.hu
Fri Jun 27 08:25:03 CEST 2003

Dear All,
	We have been using Nagios for monitoring IPv6 network since
beginning of February. Apart from check_fping that is rather easy, I
created a new check_tcp6 and check_udp6, that is IPv6 only TCP and UDP
check. I checked recently the CVS and found that there is some IPv6
support in the netutils.c and therefore for every plugin.  I see one
problem in the approach implemented in the CVS. If someone wants to run
check_xyz with hostname and both A and AAAA record exist for that
particular hostname you cannot enforce with protocol you want to use IPv4
or IPv6.

	I don't like my approach either, since for each protocol you would
have an ...6 version that is not very nice.

	What about implementing a general flag -4 for IPv4 and -6 for IPv6
for each networking related plugin, to select the protocol to be used?

	When do you plan to release a new version of plugins with IPv6
support?

Kindest Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98