[Nagiosplug-devel] Issues on check_disk

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Mon Jun 30 04:46:08 CEST 2003

1) there was a suggestion to use commas to allow pecifying multiple
disks.

I prefer spaces: check_disk -w 10% -c 5% / /tmp /var

Note that for this to work, we probably should not consider partition
names differently from path names -- you ar definitely gaining gorund on
that one, Ton.

This is also useful for defining one command that can be implemented by
services with differing numbers of partitions to check.

My big aversion to commas, by the way, is that they can be part of a
file/path name.

Of course, spaces can too - but we already need to deal with quoting
spaces, I don't want to add another character that we need to handle in
the same way.

2) there was a suggsetion to use colons in path specs like:
check_disk -w 10% -c 5% -P /usr:5%:2%

The ':' is a legal part of a path on most/all OS's, certainly on POSIX,
as is '%' -- in view of that , I see quoting problems.

I am movig toward Ton's picture of resetting things with '-C'. Actually,
it would be more intuitive to me if we had a way to undef a threshold,
and then say '-C' is a special case that undef's all thresholds. I
suppose you could assert that nobody really wants to be warhed when
there is truly zero space left, and use '0' or '0%' to reset, but then
someone will pop up saying they do want zero. So I guess it would have
to be a negaitve number. Which we could do, becuase we parse them as
strings before converting to unsigned longs (I'm just going by memory on
the type here, it's not really material)

--
Karl