[Nagiosplug-devel] Plugin command syntax samples

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Sun May 4 21:14:15 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 17:07, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> 	Just a quick question... But IIRC the older netsaint plugins had
> seperate .cfg files with sample syntaxes for the command.cfg to use... I know
> the Debian package for the netsaint plugins would catenate these all into an
> auto-generated command file... I noticed that this is absent in the current
> Nagios plugins and instead is a .cfg file generated from the configure script
> execution... Was there any particular reason for this change? Would it not be an
> idea to add a config sub-directory that the .cfg files could be placed in and
> generate the command.cfg on install rather than through the configure script so
> it only contains entries that the system is capable of building rather than
> throwing the kitchen sink into it?

The config file has in general always been made the same way -- by
substitution of paths at build time. If debian removed the entries for
unbuilt plugins, it dis so on its own.

But only providing those syntaxes that will work seems a good idea.

Another approach might be to give each plugin a '--sample' argument that
generates a sample invocation. Since This would be good to have in the
(embeeded) documentation, I lean towrd this approach.

--
Karl