[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ping /destination unreachable

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 12 07:14:12 CEST 2004

David Ecker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the check_ping plugin (Version *.31) prints the message "Error:Could not
> interpret output from ping command"
>
> I found out that if the host is unreachable (for example if a router is
> misconfigured) ping prints another paramter in the result line :
> 5 packets send, 0 recieves, +3 errors, 100% packet loss,........
>
> If the host is reachable or the icmp messages are returned everything looks
> okay.
>
> I use RedHat Enterprise 3
>
> Do you have a patch for this case??

There is a contributed plugin, named check_icmp which will work
properly, and much faster than normal check_ping. It doesn't rely on
underlying programs to actually send the packets for it, so it handles
faults and network anomalies properly.

If you find any problems with check_icmp, you can contact me directly,
as I'm the author of it.

--
Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB