[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-998291 ] check_ping (1.3.1 and CVS) does not catch expired TTL errors

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 3 16:34:02 CET 2004

Bugs item #998291, was opened at 2004-07-26 22:28
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by opensides
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=998291&group_id=29880

Category: Parsing problem
Group: Release (specify)

Initial Comment:
Guys,
I often get the following problem in my network:

[root at nagios nagios-plugins-1.3.1]# ping 10.83.0.242
>From 10.10.0.22: icmp_seq=0 Redirect Host(New nexthop:
10.10.0.242)
(... several lines of ICMP redirects ...)
>From 10.10.0.22 icmp_seq=0 Time to live exceeded

Nagios fails to figure out the host is down - in
reality, I have a routing loop and my routers are just
playing Pong.
Worse, as Nagios doesn't treat this as an error, the
ping goes on until check_plugin times out. Not good.
OK, you can say I should just append a -w to my command
file (when I do it, ping stops on the first "Time to
live exceeded" error) - but Nagios *should* figure this
out (that the host is down) and do its stuff.
The way check_plugin.c is now, Nagios will not play
nice with my network.
I just looked the latest check_ping.c in CVS and saw
that both the STDOUT/STDERR and -w issues have been
taken care of, but in order to attain as much accuracy
as possible please consider adding this to error_scan():

/* Georger's suggestion
if (strstr (buf, "Time to live exceeded"))
		die (STATE_CRITICAL, _("PING CRITICAL - Time to live
exceeded (%s)"), addr);
*/

I'd love to use the CVS version, but it doesn't compile
on my box - I get an error stating that my_connect is
declared in two places (net_utils.h and my_sql.c, or
was it .h? Dunno, already deleted it), and I couldn't
figure out how to not compile check_mysql (or at least
compile just check_ping alone).
Long live Nagios.

Georger